Work on the Temple Gate scheme started on 26 June 2017 and is due to finish by Autumn 2019. The associated construction work will result in changes to how pedestrians, cyclists and motor vehicles travel through the area.
This page will list the most up-to-date information about any restrictions or changes to the highway, cycle paths and pedestrian routes.
Carriageway construction and widening has been completed on Temple Gate between the Friary and the Engine Shed, and traffic on the roundabout has been switched to the two outside lanes. Temple Circus surfacing is underway as well as work on the Temple Street District Heating Main (DHM).
Current and upcoming restrictions and changes to access (most recent updates first)
The new road layout through the Temple Gate works is now in effect and currently planned until February 2019. The changes, as shown below, are being put in place to enable District Heating Main works, utilities diversions and the next phase of construction for the final scheme (including footway and carriageway construction).
- Temple Way, Victoria Street and Redcliffe Way pedestrian crossings are now open.
- Brunel Mile pedestrian crossing has been closed to construct a new section of road. This is due to reopen in February 2019.
- Clarence Road lane 2 and pedestrian crossing are closed and due to re-open in February 2019.
- Redcliff Mead Lane is closed.
- Temple Street is closed. Access to the 100 Temple Street car park will be maintained via Canynge Street, and pedestrian and step-free access to the building will be maintained as usual.
- Traffic to run around the outside lanes of Temple Gate roundabout (with no loss of capacity). This change is clearly marked on site.
- The southbound bus stops outside Engine Shed (Te and Tf) have been permanently closed. All services that previously called at these stops, with the exception of the 904 Brislington Park & Ride, have been reallocated to the newly constructed southbound bus stop on Temple Gate (between Station Approach and Cattle Market Road). The 904 Brislington Park & Ride service will call at Redcliffe Way and will no longer stop on Temple Gate.
- The Friary, from its junction with the roundabout to the turning into the Temple Quay car park, will remain closed for the duration of the works programme. This will allow deep drainage works to be carried out and heat networks to be installed. Access to the Temple Quay car park shall be maintained via Temple Back East. Please note that there will be no impact to the existing access to the Temple Meads Station car park, which is via the Temple Meads approach ramp, and exit from the same will be maintained via the Friary.
- Pedestrian diversions signposted around site with some crossing facilities relocated.
- Lane narrowing continues on Temple Way, Bath Road, Bath Bridges and Temple Gate.
- No vehicular access to the land between the Grosvenor Hotel and George & Railway buildings.
- Closure of the south side of the Temple Circus roundabout to simplify traffic movements during the works. Traffic from the north will no longer be able to turn right into Victoria Street from Temple Way. Traffic exiting the Friary will no longer be able to turn right onto Temple Way or straight on to Victoria Street.
Traffic diversion routes will be clearly signposted in both directions for the duration of the works.
Due to the reduced road space available during the works, all cycle lanes through the area have been closed. In order to ensure cyclist safety, signs have been erected warning drivers not to overtake cyclists through the works.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.