As the Bristol Temple Quarter Enterprise Zone develops, changes made will begin to affect the local and surrounding communities. For example, major work is due to start to improve the road network, the third phase of the Paintworks development is underway and plans for the Bristol Arena are moving forward.
Temple Quarter is not just about buildings: it is also about the people that live and work in the area and those who visit and travel through it. This community will expand with the Enterprise Zone, as the number of opportunities and entertainment and leisure facilities grow.
Many jobs have already been created in the area and more are forecast, both in constructing and developing the zone and in the businesses moving there. Many of these will be exciting opportunities in the industries of the future, including the high tech, low carbon and creative sectors, which are already booming in Bristol, and in some of the many start-up businesses that are finding a home in the zone.
The council and its partners have set up various projects to help Bristol’s residents to prepare for these opportunities:
- We’ve developed an Employment & Skills Plan for the area to increase the opportunities for employment and training for local residents;
- We’re working with developers to agree Employment & Training Plans for new developments in the area;
- Schools, colleges and universities in the area are signing up to the Employability Chartermark developed by the Local Enterprise Partnership to ensure that their pupils or students are work-ready;
- Plans are underway for a scheme to provide support around training, apprenticeships and employment;
- New walkways are being created to make it easier to get around the area.
- Resources: a selection of resources relating to community opportunities in the zone
- Film: a film made especially for local people interested in finding out more about the Enterprise Zone