Work on the Temple Gate scheme started on 26 June 2017 and is due to finish by Autumn 2018. The associated construction work will result in changes to how pedestrians, cyclists and motor vehicles travel through the area.
This page will list the most up-to-date information about any restrictions or changes to the highway, cycle paths and pedestrian routes.
Initial site investigation works are currently underway and are due to be completed by September 2017. Work has also begun on removing the roundabout itself (including lighting masts) and the Victoria Street traffic island. In the coming weeks, we will start to reconfigure the pedestrian crossing as part of the Temple Way Central Reservation. Following the removal of the traffic island on Victoria Street, drainage works will start in this area.
Current and upcoming restrictions and changes to access
- Victoria Street narrowed to one lane when approaching and exiting the gyratory;
- Closure of Temple Street for 6 weeks from 3 August for drainage works. Access to the 100 Temple Street car park, and pedestrian and step-free access to the building will be maintained throughout.
- Closure of The Friary in early September, from its junction with the roundabout to the turning into the station car park. Access to the station car park shall be maintained through a diversion of traffic around Temple Back.
- Closure of Cattle Market Road to vehicular traffic for three weeks in September (specific dates will be included in a future update);
- Occasional night time work and lane closures during August to remove further lighting masts;
- Pedestrian diversions around the Brunel Mile, with some crossing facilities relocated. These are signposted on site.
- Lane narrowing on Temple Way;
- No vehicular access to the land between the Grosvenor Hotel and George & Railway buildings;
- Closure of the south side of the Temple Circus roundabout to simplify traffic movements during the works. Traffic from the north will no longer be able to turn right into Victoria St from Temple Way and traffic exiting from the Friary will no longer be able to turn right onto Temple Way or straight on to Victoria Street:
Traffic diversion routes will be clearly signposted in both directions for the duration of the works. Some of the key pedestrian and highway versions can be viewed as PDF diagrams (2MB).
Due to the reduced road space available during the works, all cycle lanes through the area have been closed. In order to ensure cyclist safety, signs have been erected warning drivers not to overtake cyclists through the works.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.