The planning applications for the Bristol Arena were approved unanimously by councillors on Bristol City Council’s Development Control Committee on 6th April 2016.
This followed a series of pre- and post- application consultation events, through which strong public support was expressed for the arena project. During the pre-application consultation, which took place in September and October 2015, 86% of respondents fully or broadly supported the proposed plans. The plans were refined as a result of this consultation, including:
- New temporary events spaces;
- The design of the upper façade;
- Improved cycle and pedestrian access from the A4;
- Increased Park & Ride services;
- A shuttle train service between Bristol Parkway and Temple Meads for 12,000 capacity events.
In December 2015 and January 2016, a statutory consultation took place, and this further refined proposals.
In April 2016, additional transport information was provided to the Development Control Committee, including details of:
- Three bus-based Park and Ride sites and a commitment to providing additional buses at peak times and during the Christmas period;
- One rail-based Park & Ride service to Bristol Parkway station at the end of arena events;
- Increased cycle parking provision;
- 35 taxi spaces, 9 coach drop-off bays and drop-off and pick-up zones, all with pavements and lighting improvements;
- Stewards to direct visitors on-foot via safe, signposted routes along Cattle Market Road, the new floating Harbour Walkway from Temple Quay or via the new walkway from the Bath Road;
- A way finding strategy to direct visitors from city car parks;
- A commitment to consult on and implement parking controls in residential areas.
This page will be updated with opportunities to shape future plans when they are available. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Image copyright Populous Arena Team